Do home buyers want fixer uppers or fixed up houses?
Some buyers want fixer uppers. However, most buyers want very minimum cosmetic work when buying a house. Before you start tearing at your home have a plan. Smart sellers will weigh the cost of improvements against the home's market value after the repairs or upgrades are completed. Note that kitchens and bathrooms carry the most return.
Make a list of renovations or improvements that need to be done.
- Patch holes and cracks in walls and ceilings.
- Fix all broken appliances.
- Repair leaky faucets.
- Replace bad carpet.
- Repaint walls with neutral paint (not white).
- Replace broken window glass.
- Repair the roof.
- Change out any dated light fixtures / ceiling fans.
- Replace old window coverings.
- Remodel outdated bathrooms and kitchens.
Choose at least 5 improvements to renovate, from worst to least. When it comes to hiring someone to do the job (because we can't do everything ourselves) don't settle with who you pick because its cheaper. You would rather it be done right then having to spend more by hiring someone else to fix the problem. Never spend more than you can recover in fixing up your home. You also don't want to replace things that aren't going to help you sell. If it is an eye sore or really outdated then replace or repair it.
Follow us on Facebook and Linkedin